Fairview's History

FP Historical Society since 1962    |    All Rights Reserved ©     |
Rockport ~ Goldwood Township ~ Fairview Village ~ Village of Fairview Park

    The land where you now live was first surveyed in the late 1700s by General Moses Cleaveland and his party of 49 other agents for the Connecticut Land Company. They divided the land into ranges. The ranges were then numbered as townships. Township No.7, Range 14 included the recognizable names of Rocky River, Fairview Park, West Park, and Lakewood. The township was purchased in 1807 for $26,087.
    In 1819, the 18 families who lived in Township No. 7 petitioned to have a name given to the place they called home. On February 24, 1819 their petition was granted and Rockport was born; appropriately named for the high, rocky embankments along the lake front and along the sides of the Rocky River.
    Despite being densely wooded with patches of quicksand and inhabited by a variety of creatures including bears, wolves, rattlesnakes and the less ferocious deer and turkey, Rockport continued to grow — attracting pioneer families looking for a better life. Some of the early settlers in the area include the Anthonys, Bassetts, Eatons, Jordans, Masticks, Millards and Spencers. These early settlers bought large tracts of land on which to farm.
    By the early 1900s, truck-farming was a way of life. More often than not, produce grown and poultry raised in Rockport was taken to the West Side Market. Hence, the name of truck-farming — trucking your harvest to market.
    Rocky River incorporated as a village in May 1903; of which we were a part. In 1910, a petition was sent to rename this area. Those living in the “Fairview/Parkview” area wanted to break away from Rocky River and form their own community. On April 6, 1910, Goldwood Township was established. Within the year, 75 families petitioned to launch a new village. On September 10, 1910, Fairview Village received its official charter. The advent of Fairview Village divided Goldwood Township. The part along Center Ridge Road was absorbed into Rocky River ca. 1926. The southern section later incorporated on April 28, 1925 as Parkview Village.
    In 1948, Fairview residents were urged by Mayor Bohlken to write the Federal Government for a post office. They found out that the name needed to be changed because a Fairview, Ohio already existed. To comply with postal regulations, voters chose to rename Fairview Village as the Village of Fairview Park. Our first post office opened in November 1949. The post office in the Fairview Centre was opened in 1960. In 2010, a new post office building opened on Mastick Rd.
    The Village of Fairview Park officially became the City of Fairview Park on September 5, 1951. Parkview Village was annexed to Fairview Park on January 1, 1968 and became most of what is today’s Ward 5.